Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Just Heard The News: The Phillies Are In The World Series!


Nah, not really.  I found out a week or so ago.  But that headline is very plausable for me, never the less.  

If I post something Phillies related, I try and make it something that wouldn't be reported on ESPN or the newspaper, because as far as I'm aware, that's the only place most of you get your sports news.  But the sister site of a movie blog I go to posts some Phillies news, and here's something I thought you guys might get a chuckle at.

To find out whose jersey she's 'wearing', and for more pics, go here.

Oh, and is this description true so far of the World Series?

I don’t know if it’s fair to call something boring if you don’t even try to watch it, but I’m not really interested in being fair: this World Series is super-dooper boring. I couldn’t be more thrilled that I didn’t watch the Rays’ 4-2 win last night, because I nearly fell asleep reading the recap. A sample:

"Tampa Bay never really got a huge hit, but neither did the Phillies as Jimmy Rollins and crew fell to 1-for-28 with runners in scoring position…

Tampa Bay scored on Jason Bartlett’s safety squeeze and built another rally when Rocco Baldelli walked on a checked swing that seemed to confuse players and umpires alike."


Poor situational hitting! Bunts! Check-swing walks! Hold onto your hats, kids — this wild ride could go seven games!

Game 3 is in Philly on Saturday night, but thankfully, rain is in the forecast. Even God doesn’t want to watch this series.
I'm betting you guys don't feel that way.  I'm sure it's a great Series, Demetriou, I don't mean any offense.  Not gonna lie though, that read made me laugh.

Also, not to continue to rain on everyone's Philly parade, but a writer had called for submissions for people to tell him about their worst/most amusing experiences with the notoriously obnoxious Philly fans.  Here are those stories.  And here's one:

My Philly experience is a pretty simple one. I was at a Phillies game once as a fan and the four guys sitting behind me were booing everything they could get their eyes on.

When someone would buy a Diet Coke: “Booo Diet Coke! Pepsi’s better.”

When someone walked by wearing sandals: “Sandals suck! Next time wear shoes.”

When someone got a hit: “Boo single! We want a friggin’ double.”

But the topping on this cake was when a guy arrived in our section during the second inning wearing a Roberto Clemente throwback jersey. So screamed the four Philly faithful: “Boooo Roberto Clemente. He’s dead.”

-Wayne Drehs, Senior Writer, ESPN.com
That's a tame one.  There are multiple stories that deal with urination on people and the such (all apprently meant to be humorous).

Hahahah, sports fans are so intelligent and understanding. 

No comments: