Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So last week I did this.

And it was amazing.

(For a gallery of about 24 photos, click the above picture to go to my new Webshots account!)

With me (above) is my friend Lauren. We were the first to go up. After we landed, my friends Claire and Rich suited up and jumped themselves (Since I have about a bajillion pictures, I didn't upload all of them. I uploaded mostly ones of myself considering you guys don't know the other people who went).

So, yeah, after signing our lives away about 36 times, me and Lauren suited up and got in the tiny, tiny plane with our tandem jumpers. Think of the smallest interior of a plane you can, then shrink that image about 50%. We sat on the floor, and fit together with each other like tetris pieces. After a little flying, I looked out the window and saw how high we were. I asked my jumper if we were jumping soon and he pointed at his handy altitude meter on his wrist. We were 500 feet up, and we needed to get to 10,000 feet. Hol-y crap.

The rest of the ride wasn't too scary, surprisingly. It was about 25 minutes till we got to the correct height. Lauren and her jumper opened the door, at which point cold air came rushing into the plane. I watched Lauren and her jumper disappear out the side of the plane in an instant. Then it was my turn. VERY tightly attached to the guy behind me, we knee-d our way up to the door. This was the scariest part. You have to put one foot out on this metal 2x4 looking thing and keep your other knee inside the plane, on the floor. Holding onto your chute, the jumper holds your head and does a *1.. 2... 3.* action. Then all of a sudden you spin around and are flying downwards at a hundred and some miles an hour.

It doesn't even feel like you're falling, really. It feels like you're suspended in the air, with a huge fan underneath you. It stings a tiny bit, and is incredibly loud. After about a mile of falling (around 45 seconds), your chute deploys and all is quiet and peaceful. My guy, Lonny, goes, "Here, grab the handles of the chute," to which I replied, "Ohhhh nooo no no thanks." But he made me, and it was fun.

The parachute ride was very serene and nice. I felt very safe, I must say.

So here comes the landing part. I heard many stories of people breaking legs, so when my guy told me, "Okay stand-up now..." at which point I thought, "And break my legs? I think not, good sir." So I decided to sit. Well, Lonny decided to stand... ya know, like he told me to do. Our unspoken disagreement lead to us tumbling on the ground for about a minute, rolling around on the floor, legs flailing. Also, the parachute grabbing some air after I thought our gay tumbling in the grass ceased, didn't help.

I already wanna go again. I may go with my uncle in July when I come home. I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

No comments: