Thursday, July 17, 2008

A glimpse whether you like it or not

Tuesday Evening July 15th :

I left work at around 8:30 P.M. It was one of the later days I had worked in a while. Normal routine suggested I should phone over to the Demetriou Jason household. I opt to call Jason, fearing Demetriou would be unreachable, asleep, or at work. After 4 rings, Jason picks up "Ello?", said in a Jason voice with half effort, as if he had been lying awkwardly on the side couch that is too small for him. I ask what he is doing and he responds "watching the all-star game". I then ask "Is Demetriou there?" and he responds "yes". Relief and joy wash over me as spending time with both Jason and Demetriou in the same room is a great time.

As I arrive at the door, I know that once I ring the doorbell, Jason and Demetriou will be playing "Rock, paper, scissors" to determine who will let me in. Jason wins 90% of the time, however in my mind I had already placed a bet favoring Demetriou. As Jason appears to open the door, I congratulate myself on my keen foresight only to have any elation squandered as I learn Demetriou made him get the door because he was eating a sandwich.

I enter the apartment, carrying a bag with a sandwich and chips from "Old Nelson", the Wawa replacement that is superior to its predecessor because of its higher quality meats and its service from individuals of Asian influence. As I sit down, my relief and joy are gone, for I am already thinking about the next day. The next day is a trip to Reading, which means a 5:30 rise. The drive will begin at Starbucks and then I will turn onto Egg Harbor Road. Then I will proceed to hit 80 to 90% of the 7 traffic lights I have to go through before I hit 55. Then its a crap shoot as to whether the Philadelphia area decides to work that day, as there could be all or no traffic.

This puts me in a foul mood. As I look to my left, I get a closer look at Demetriou. He is sitting in his chair with his blanket on. He looks a bit frazzled. I can see he is irritated, probably because he hasn't been sleeping well lately. Nevertheless, I decide to test him. I begin asking him questions, making comments, mainly things along the line of: " Man, Demetriou is so lucky he gets to immediately plop in his chair once he wakes up to watch the game" Midway through this comment, he interjects "Don't even start Penrith". For his sake, I refrained for a bit and turned my attention to Jason.

There is no reason to try to annoy Jason. There are many pleasant things I can discuss with him, such as possible trades for Ryan Howard, our fantasy baseball leagues, excessive drinking on the vacation, etc. Most of these conversations annoy Demetriou, therefore that adds even more enjoyment. Before any of these exchanges can begin though, Jason is already mis-pronouncing several of the baseball players' names on the television. I support is mis-pronunciations by repeating them in my version of the Jason voice. Again, Demetriou's frustration builds. This repeats until it is time for me to leave. Occasionally, we play Dr. Mario before I leave.


This is what it is like over Demetriou and Jason's when it is just the three of us. I love it and find great amusement just about the whole time. If you can imagine the scene, hopefully you will find amusement too.


Happy Birthday to Becky and my Dad.



4 comments:

Demetriou said...

You probably missed the end of the game Penrith, as you were proceeding through your 1/2 shaving routine that you always complain about. I'm glad my orneriness gives you pleasure. Let's play the game "What did Penrith leave for us to clean?" Usually it's the frosted Phillies glass or two empty cans of Fresca. Sometimes it's ground-up peanuts on the carpet. Yesterday it was a lid to the vitamin water. What will it be next time?

Ollec12 said...

Yea I dropped the cap down there in the beginning of the evening and couldn't find it.

Dan Liuzzi said...

Hahahah this whole thing is freakin' hilarious. It's pretty much what I expect to life in the Jason Demetriou household to be like.

I'm so jealous.

Ollec12 said...

When writing this, I knew that Liuzzi would really be the only one to appreciate it, so I tried to really put things in perspective