Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yankees Stadium



Thanks to Becky H. for having an extra ticket to tonight's game at Yankees Stadium. Even though I hate the Yankees, I put on my best behavior (and my navy blue shirt and hat) and enjoyed my first trip to this historic stadium. Click here to see some additional pictures (the gallery features all of the power hours from June...the pictures from the game are toward the end). The stadium just has a feel of champions, and when I think of Yankees games, I feel like they're all like the one we just saw: Both A-Rod and Jeter homered, they were up by 6 runs after 3 innings, Abreu had two hits, they blasted Sinatra's "New York, New York" after the final out... I always assumed that Yankees fans get to witness this typical behavior all the time, but Becky assures me that they don't do this everyday. I understand that Drew is yet to witness a Yankees win this year (which is funny considering that I took his ticket). It's strange that behind the beautiful outside shell that we see on TV all the time lies a concourse that is literally eight feed wide. When you get to be a part of the 55,000 fans trying to get to their seats and squeezing through the narrow walkways, you understand why they are opening a new stadium next year. The new stadium will allow the Yankees to open up some luxury boxes and add some much needed revenue. I think they're payroll was only 209 million in 2008...those fans will finally be rewarded! I'm glad I can say I've been to Yankees Stadium now, thank you Becky (and Drew) for the opportunity. That's now 11 stadiums I've been to. Next Tuesday the 29th (unless Jason or I have work), there's a good chance we'll be going to Washington DC to see the Phillies play at new National's Park...all are invited. And then two days later...BAHAMAS!

No comments: